Monday, March 8, 2010

Educaiton Innovation

what is one "innovation" you would implement in the public school system in order to boost achievement/success?

I think that If I had to implement one innovation to public schools it would be identifying students interests and starting them on a major in high school. I teach earth science and I find it hard to believe that my students will actually use their knowledge of rocks in the future. While this is interesting information for them to learn that they could benefit from it is not for the most part, going to be vital for them in their professional careers. While I can still instill in them the idea of thinking science is a good thing for most of my students to take but is it really necessary to teach rocks to student who wants to be a mechanic. I believe it would be more wise to try and get these kids a head start in their careers and hook them up with internships while in high school then to force them to take subjects that they will never need. I believe it would be wise to set up a program similar to something like Australia where students are tested in high school to see if they go on to a school similar to how the USA is set up or to a school that is set up like a trade school. While I don't believe that we should test the kids but I do believe that we should attempt to identify students interests and strong points and foster these strengths. If I had to implement anything into public schools in the USA it would be the introduction of majors in hihg school.

No comments:

Post a Comment